MIND TO ENGLISH:
A BRIEF QUIZ
Identify the offending
punctuation, word, or groups of words in each of the
1. Whom shall I say is calling?
2. Everyone should do their best
to speak correctly.
3. She felt nauseous throughout
4. The large dog always wagged
it's tail when greeting a stranger.
5. After mowing the grass for two
hours, a glass of cold tea tasted especially delicious to me.
6. Neither the students nor their
teacher have to attend the opening ceremonies.
7. The three of us couldn't
decide between ourselves when to hold the meeting.
8. I'd prefer to take a walk
rather than run or go swimming.
9. He must of asked her the
question three times before she answered.
10. My professor wanted my friend
and I to consider writing an honors thesis.
11. There's all kinds of
entertainment, not just movies, in Hollywood.
12. Their going to have to make
up their minds' soon.
13. The enormity of the building
impressed the architects.
14. She thinks she is smarter
than anyone in her class.
15. Will you please remove the
items from the closets and clean them?
Complete the following sentences.
- 1. Between you and _____, I'd
rather be sleeping than taking this quiz.
- a. I
- 2. Because the movie is
different _____ what I expected, I was disappointed in my
- a. than
- 3. You do not have to _____ me
the money after all; I was hired for the job yesterday.
- a. loan
- 4. None of the children _____
where the Easter eggs are hidden.
- a. knows
- 5. Although _____ students
attended the basketball games this year compared to last
year, we sold all available tickets.
- a. fewer
- 6. We walked _____ up the scenic
route than we had planned.
- a. further
- 7. The tragic incident had a
profound _____ on her desire to complete her education.
- a. affect
- 8. They haven't always felt
_____ they were emotionally distressed every day.
- a. like
b. as if
- 9. Prince _____ expected
ascension to the throne may be in jeopardy.
- a. Charles'
- c. Either one
- 10. The suit he is wearing,
_____ he purchased in London several years ago, is still
- a. which
- 11. According to news reports,
the suspect _____ himself before the authorities could
- a. hung
- 12. As soon as you can, please
return the book to either the librarian or _____.
- a. me
- 13. The professor is _____
taking a sabbatical to complete her biography of Robert
- a. presently
- 14. The entire class feels _____
about the program director's pending retirement.
- a. badly
- 15. Yawning throughout the
concert, the youngsters were clearly _____ in the
musicians' singing style.
- a. uninterested
Professor Joyce M. Miller Return to
Home Page Return to Instructional Menu