This biology lab course is for science non-majors.Monday,SCC,11-1.50
BIOLOGY LAB MANUAL:
Online Biology Laboratory Manual -
(under “Biology lab”).or
Look for 1408/1406 manual. Click on the link. It will direct you to Mark Garcia page which will have all the units listed. Click on each unit and you will see 3 tabs manual ,worksheet and answers. Click on manual to open and print .Unit-1 is measurement.
Screen shot of the lab unit
You can also access lab units through iws.collin.edu/mgarcia
4.BIOLOGY LAB VIDEO:
Check iws.collin.edu/mgarcia to see podcast videos listed under each lab.
5. BIOLOGY LAB IMAGES: Biology web-page: http://iws.collin.edu/biopage/biopage.html
6. Enzyme reports-outline to write the report
The enzyme report is based on only 2 exercise, substrate specificity and importance of cofactors. Click on the link and it will open the format, The statistic data for both the experiments is attached here
Homework: Homework (lab report) is to be printed out completed and turned in the following week. Information for the homework is from doing the lab. Each homework will open up the day of the lab and close on sunday night. Students should have attended the lab and will have to complete each homework on their own .
BIOLOGY LAB QUIZZES: Check schedule to see quiz dates. Each quiz is worth 20 points. Each question is worth 1 point.
Biology lab quiz-1- review:
1.The metric conversions and scientific notations.
Moving from larger unit to smaller unit, you move decimals to the right of the scale, smaller to larger move to the left of the scale.
eg. Kg to grams will be moving the decimal 3 spaces. 1.0 Kg will be 1000.0 grams.
The scientific notation will be 1x10 to the power of negative 3.
Moving decimal to the right the exponent will be negative , moving decimal to the left will be positive
1000 gram to Kg will be 1x10 to the power of positive 3
2. Know the metric prefix which can be kilo, hecta, deci,centi,milli,micro,nano
3. Metric label or unit for weight is grams, length is meter and volume is liter
1. Visible spectrum wavelength number for green which is 490-575 approx, blue is before green and yellow comes after green
2. What is blank - it has a indicator with water and is used to set the machine to 100% Transmittance
3. How to read unknown protein concentration from a standard protein graph
Biology Lab quiz 2 review
Lab-3 Acid and Bases
1.Colors of anthocyanin pigment- pink is acidic, green is basic
2. What is a buffer and which is the best buffer from the graph?
3. What is acid, base and neutral pH, which has more H+ ions
1. What are the positive results for the presence of protein/lipid/simple sugars and starch ?
2. What are the reagents added to test for the presence of these macromolecules?
3. Explanation of benedicts test?
4. What is a emulsifier?
Biology Lab quiz 3- REVIEW
Lab- Microscope and Cytology
1. Label the different parts of microscope?
2. Identify letter e
3. Identify plant and animal cell?
4. Identify chlorplasts and plasma membrane?
Biology Lab quiz4 review
Name of the enzyme and its specific substrate
Extrapolating the optimum temperature and pH from the graph
What is enzyme specificity? What were substrates tested for?
What was the chelating agent added to strip the cofactor off from the enzyme substrate complex?
What are the cofactors for the enzyme
What is term used when enzymes break at extreme conditions?
What gas is qualitatively measured for aerobic respiration in germinating embryos?
What indicator was used to check for the gas? and why did the indicator change color?
What is the metabolic rate of the animal? What are the units used to measure the metabolic rate?
What gas was measured in fermentation?
What chemical was added to remove the CO2 gas from the chamber?
Biology Lab quiz 5 review
The wavelength numbers for color green and blue?
Name of the technique used for separation of pigments?
Which pigment was most soluble in solvent and which was least soluble ?
What part of the leaf will make starch? covered or not covered part and why?
Lab Cell Division
What is a replicating chromosome and label a sister chromatid?
Know the different phases of mitosis>? Prophase, metaphase,interphase
How many diploid daughter cells are produced after mitosis?
How many haploid daughter cells are produced after meosis-1 and after meosis-2?
Biology Lab quiz 6 review
1. Why was soap and meat tenderiser added to the DNA sample?
2. Why was cold ethanol added to the sample?
3. Reading of gel electrophoresis?
4. Electrical Charges on DNA?
BIOLOGY LAB EXAM REVIEWS:
The above link gives you the timings of on-campus reviews
Check iws.collin.edu/mgarcia to see podcast videos.
Lab-exam-1 review-Look up the pictures from biology web-page. Read up the lab -exam review posted there too. Read up the homework also . Wear closed toe shoes. Lab-exam is during regular class time at 11.00 A.M.
LAB-EXAM-2 REVIEW- click on this to open the review. Read the homework and pictures under biology web-page. Wear closed toe shoes for the exam.
Check iws.collin.edu/mgarcia to see podcast videos of the lab.
BIOLOGY POWER POINTS:
Power points are with reference to general knowledge on the labs and are based on labmanual which was used in spring 2011.
Power Points-in pdf with no images(for reading if needed)
Power points-These are notes with images listed below
1.Measurement 3. Acid and Bases 5. Microscope and cytology
2. Spectrophotometry 4. Macromolecule 6. Osmosis and Diffusion
7. Enzymes 8. Cellular respiration 9. Photosynthesis
10. Cell Division 11. Biotechnology 12.Prokaryotes